from housewives to rihanna

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hey bloggers. Sorry I've been so bad at blogging this month. Dance and school are taking all of my time, and believe it or not, trying to maintain sanity is coming before blogging now. Whoa. I've had a pretty great month. I went to sweethearts with darling Marcelo and had such a good time. My dance company had a competition in Park City last weekend and did well and had a blast. And last night, I went and sat courtside at a Jazz vs. Celtics game. I am the BIGGEST Celtics fan ever, it's somewhat desperate but I really just love them so much. Sitting so close was seriously unbelievable. There is no doubt in my mind that I was the happiest girl alive last night.
 
Something, however, did catch my attention last night. Every NBA team has their dancers. Celtics girls, Jazz girls, etc. Well, my best friend Kady and I watched the Jazz girls dance at timeouts and halftime, and I found myself pretty disgusted. As a dancer, I respect dance as an art; something to express feelings, something of passion. But the Jazz girls seemed to be doing none of that. I know that you can't go out on the court at a basketball game and do a ballet, it just wouldn't fit the event. But if you ask me, having your butt cheeks falling out of your spanks and hardly covering your chest and shaking what you've got (with NO choreographed movement, may I add) is not any form of dance. It truly saddened me to see what dance has evolved to be. Dance is what I love and cherish so much, and it broke my heart to see it being depicted so, well... wrong.
 
And then, it got me thinking...
Why do girls depict themselves like this? Why do we put on clothes that make us look like mere objects and move in ways that make us look like we have no self respect? I feel that the phrase "Chivalry is dead" has been overused in society as of recent. And yes, it is partly true, and I somewhat agree. Chivalry may not be completely dead, but it sure isn't what it used to be. But why is it that why? Is it because men have become disgusting pigs? Because that's what society and media everywhere tend to claim. And maybe it's true- I don't know. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. But I don't think it's fair for men to have all the fingers pointed at them. Look at women. Back in the good ol' days, they were housewives. You know, the classic American housewife: they wore dresses past their knees with collars and sleeves, they were family oriented, for the most part, they were not a symbol of things which compromised standards. But look what time has done to us. Look at Rihanna, Ke$ha, Victoria's Secret models: what are they promoting? What message are they sending out to men, and more importantly, to the future women, wives, and mothers of the coming generation.
 
It's like this: what came first, the chicken or the egg?
 
Did men turn into pigs, or did women begin to symbolize themselves as something insignificant to what they used to be?

I don't know. And like I said, I think that the evolution of society will always be a mystery to everyone. But there is one thing I am positive of: I cannot wait to raise kids. I know, I'm only 17 and won't be married for a couple years. But I can't help but look forward to raising my daughters to be among the few who DO stand for something greater than face value, and I am equally excited to raise my sons to treat a women with true chivalry- to see more in a woman than what is expressed in these days. I hope that one day I will find a man who see's that in me, and I sure hope that I have the ability to possess qualities greater than the ones of Rihanna and Ke$ha.
 
The future is bright- but only if you make it to be. Women: don't settle for this standard of being "objects" or "of no use", and men: don't let women believe that they are such things.

 
 

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment