thoughts as of recent

Friday, February 8, 2013

There has been quite a somber feeling upon me for the past two days. It's a familiar feeling- a feeling I never liked, a feeling I never welcomed.

Heaven gained another angel this week. The beautiful, talented Sydney Bruning took her own life on Thursday. Though I had only seen her a couple of times at different events, I really didn't know her. But I know a lot of her friends, and I am watching first hand how the death of this amazing girl affected so many people. Like I said, it's a somber feeling. Somewhat relatable to the feeling I had on New Year's Day of 2012, the day Vance took his life. But this week, though, I am not mourning over the loss of a close friend like I was on that Sunday in January. However, I know that many people are. And that breaks my heart, because I know how it is. I'll tell you right now, it's the hardest thing in the world.

Tonight though, I am greatly mourning one thing, and that is our society. It should NOT take a tragedy like this for us to show our gratitude, love, and appreciation for our friends. It should NOT take death for us to say positive things about one another. Why do we walk around our schools giving people dirty looks, or talking behind their backs? We're all human and I know we are all guilty of it. But let me be the one to swallow this thing I call our "human pride", and say that those negative things are nothing but a waste of our time. It takes so much more energy to hate and drive someone out than it does to love and accept, so WHY do we do it? Our society needs, now more than ever, to get outside of ourselves, to open our arms to everyone, to look past clothes and hair and eyes; we need to look BEHIND those eyes, see what is deeper, and value a person for who they are. Everyone is human. Everyone is vulnerable. Everyone is hurting in some way or another. So let's help each other conquer our demons together, rather than being each other's demons.

As for those of you who may be suffering with things relative to what kids like Sydney and Vance were, PEOPLE ARE HERE FOR YOU. You are not alone. Seriously, there are so many people who you can confide in. All you have to do is look for them. Parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, cousins, friends, teachers. Help is all around you. Use it. Don't use a permanent solution for a temporary problem. Look for the good in life: there is SO much of it. Life is truly a beautiful thing, but only if you decide to make it that way. Your future is in your hands- no body else's.


 We are all on the same team. We all want happiness, but we will never achieve it with hate burning in our hearts. May we all join together, not only for ourselves, but for the ones who went before us; the ones we let down. Let us live to please them, and to please our father in heaven.

Rest in peace, Miss Sydney. 




Leave a Comment

Post a Comment